In fiction, an inconsistency is when a character has an occurrence usually regarding power that differs from the norm. An inconsistency can work both ways, being either a low showing or a high showing. Generally, inconsistencies should not be accepted unless there is a good reason for it (such as a character who usually holds back on his or her full power).
Examples of Inconsistency:
- Goku being unable to lift 40 tons
- Master Roshi able to destroy the Moon in the 21st World Tournament when much stronger characters struggled to destroy cities and islands.
- Batman being able to fight evenly with characters far beyond his class.
- Silver Surfer being unable to dodge, and feeling pain from Storm's lightning bolt.
- Pre Crisis Superman being unable to defeat Karate Kid when PC Superman is far beyond his class.